Thursday, December 1, 2011

Sick Nurses



Year: 2007
Staring: Chol Wachananont, Winchan Jarujinda, Kanya Rattanapetch, Chidjan Rujiphun
Director: Piraphan Laoyont & Thodsapol Siriwiwat
Run Time: 82 minutes



Plot:
Dr Taa and seven nurses harvest organs from the hospital where they work to sell them on the black market, when one of the nurses, Tawan threatens to tell the police about what is going on, Dr Taa and the other nurses including her own sister, Nook murder her in cold blood, however 7 days later Tawan come back to get revenge on everyone who played a part in her muder.

Review:
I didn’t expect much from this movie, I never really heard anything about it so I wasn’t sure what kind of horror this was going to be weather it would be a sleazy sexual exploitation horror movie or a serious horror movie, I guess you could say it fell under the category of both, although there wasn’t really any sex scenes in this movie it was clear that the director’s tried to exploit the beautiful women in a sexual manner while still holding a consistent serious tone to the movie with some added black comedy.

The makeup and effects were brilliant all through the movie I was amazed at how good everything looked, the hospital décor had a very eerie feel to it, and you could almost sense that death was just around the corner, the make up to the ghost was brilliant she was covered in pure black makeup from head to toe with very long dark hair and a long black dress.
The spirit could also take over parts of the nurses bodies such as their arms or legs to make them do things to them self’s, when this occurred there possessed limbs would turn to pure black to represent the possession of the limb which also gave a very eerie feel to what was happening.

There were many creative and torturing death scenes my favourite being, one of the nurses being wrapped in long black hair like in a spider web and then being put head first into a fish tank forcing her to drown, it’s a shame the director didn’t notice that there was a reflection of a crew member in the glass of the tank

There was not much dialog which for me was a bonus because I struggle to keep up with the sub-titles however because of the lack of dialog and the way the movie kept throwing you between different time lines it was hard to follow who was who and what was going on in the movie, but that didn’t take anything away from the story telling its self because towards the end everything fell into place and gave me a bigger understanding of what was happening and why these things were happening.

The acting was sometimes very corny but at the same time great, when things started to get serious you could see the pain and fear in their eyes which gave me a real feeling to what was happening to the nurses, although I still think they deserved everything that happened to them at the same time I really did feel somewhat sorry for them and that made me want to see more, there was a few scenes in particular that I did not understand like why was there confetti and blood falling all over the doctors and professors at the conference while they were all singing and dancing, I am guessing this was all supposed to add to the atmosphere and feeling of dread but it really didn’t work for me it took away any of the fear I had and turned it into something that I just thought was silly, I think it was a bad move on the Director’s behalf.

At the end thought that there were a lot of shocking twists and turns throughout this movie and every death scene was unique and inventive with a brilliant score to add to the atmosphere, the only real problem was it was only on for 82 minutes and it felt like they tried to cram to much in that short amount of time, i think it would have worked out better if the movie was on for longer.


Scores:
Atmosphere and Scares 6.5/10
Acting and characterisation 6.5/10
Storytelling and plot 6.5/10
Overall enjoyment score 6.5/10
I thought it was inventive and offered me something I have never seen before it had its faults but nothing to serious that you couldn’t forgive.




No comments:

Post a Comment